Monday, February 24, 2014

The Power of Paint

Breakfast Room comes to life.

The breakfast room in our new house is long, narrow,
and extends off the kitchen towards the back of the house.

 While keeping the main rooms of the house white for that open, expansive feel,
I wanted to add some drama to this back room with paint.

To ensure proper coverage, I used a medium gray primer.

 We painted this room ourselves and used blue painters tape on the ceiling to get that straight, crisp line.
It's worth the extra effort.

 I picked a dark teal color for that added drama.
The fun part about designing my own house is I can take risks.

My inspiration for the color was this beautiful glass bowl.

 I love the result!

The artwork really pops off this dark color.

 It's actually a cozy, comfortable color, and really updates this room.
Still to come: new light, drapes, area rug, and hardwood floors.

The reveal!
The dark teal (color: Riverway) really works in with the warm grey of the kitchen.
The key is contrast for good design... keep that in mind.
Would you paint a room in your house with such a dark color?
Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of the update so far.

Warmly,
Mindy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment